Saturday 1 August 2009

Steak and onion baguette


It's a strange world out there in supermarketland. We were shopping last night and picked up a 400g pack of Somerfield's 'Best Ever' thin cut steak on a half price offer for just £2.83. That's roughly the same price as a pack of premium mince.

I reckoned it probably wouldn't be that tender so bashed it thoroughly with a rolling pin then marinated it in a small glass of red wine, a couple of tablespoons of oil and a good pinch of Herbes de Provence for half an hour.

In the meantime I cooked down 4 sliced onions in good slosh of olive oil for about 15 minutes then added a knob of butter and kept on frying them until they were soft and sweet (another quarter of an hour) then seasoned them with salt, pepper and a few drops of balsamic vinegar. (I could of course have used a jar of onion marmalade but that would have cost at least three times as much)

I drained the steaks, patted them dry and rubbed them with a little oil then cooked them on the highest setting on my double-sided electric grill for about a minute and a half each then stuffed them into the split baguette with a good dollop of onions.

The steak was a bit tough which could be remedied by marinating it a couple of hours longer, possibly even overnight, but it was really tasty. And could easily have served 3 or even 4 if we hadn't been so greedy. A bit of crumbled blue cheese (Stilton is good value) and a few rocket leaves would have been good additions which would have made the meat stretch further.

As I've noted before it's not the so-called 'cheap cuts' that are a bargain these days but the prime cuts. Weird or what?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!

Fiona Beckett said...

Thanks - it was! Onions are really great done that way.

Unknown said...

Your beef baguette sounds delicious. I'm sure a little Danish blue would enable the meat to go further. As I have noticed, if food is strongly flavoured, it sometimes goes a lot further. As you become satisfied quicker.

It's indeed weird that prime cuts are often better value. I used to buy beef flank for braising. But when you debone and remove the fat from the braised beef. The quantity of meat recovered worked out about the same as buying stewing steak. And there is no waste or extra work!

Julia said...

You can't beat a steak and onion baguette. Odd about the prime cuts, isn't it? As an aside, I've been stunned at the price of brisket these days.

Fiona Beckett said...

Yes, I reckon Danish Blue would work well, Robert. It's not a cheese I'm mad about on its own but it'd be good in a sandwich like this. And it's fantastic value

And brisket, yes, I agree that's really gone up in price, Julia. You'd probably be better off with a bit of topside.

Greenlady said...

Ok this comment is not going to make me popular. I am glad you got a good meal out of it. But, looking at that packet I would not have bought the steak. I would have gone for premium mince. Or nice thick portabello mushrooms instead.

Despite the assurance of " best ever " ( as on many packets for many things ) which means nothing in practical terms, it does not state the cut. It was probably tough due to being taken from a cheaper cut but sold as a more prime item. Yes, I am aware that even premium cuts of meat can be tough. But I just feel this was another example of supermarket dishonesty.

Fiona Beckett said...

Not at all put out greenlady. I bought it out of curiosity to see how good - or poor - it would be. I also prefer to buy my meat from my local butcher. You could buy thin slices of topside for around the same price but am intrigued by what supermarkets are promoting at the moment and whether you can make anything decent from it. Which you can . . .

UA-3466976-1