Tuesday 9 September 2008

Introducing The Cheeselover

A new book project (cheese). A new blog - The Cheeselover.

Must be mad but here's the thinking. I could write about cheese on The Frugal Cook but it would take the blog over for the next few months and cheese, as we all know, is far from frugal these days.

It also helps, I've found, writing a blog as you write a book. Book writing is a long and lonely journey and you don't see any results for months but blogging is immediate and gratifying, enabling you to share the ideas and thoughts you have as you go along with fellow enthusiasts.

You can also take and share your own photos which publishers understandably won't let you do ;-) Or won't publish them anyway.


That doesn't mean I'll be abandoning TFC or never posting about cheese. In fact to allay any worries you may have here's a pic of the glorious cheese rinds I scrounged from The Parmesan Cheese Co at the Organic Food Festival at the weekend which I shall add to the soup I'm making from the carcass of the half-price organic chicken I bought (which has already provided two meals). Fantastic in risottos too. When you buy cheese - if you buy cheese from an independent cheese shop - ask for some.

8 comments:

Jean said...

Fiona, you may be shocked by this but I don't like cheese. I cannot stand to eat cooked cheese, and it's a real labour of love for me to make cheese on toast for my daughters because the smell turns my stomach.

No, I could happily live in a world without cheese. (Prepares for the onslaught....)

Fiona Beckett said...

No onslaught, NSM, just deep sympathy. It's tragic for you!

Not even mild soft cheeses like Quark or ricotta?

Jean said...

No, I particularly don't like soft cheeses. I can occasionally eat a piece of cheddar with a cracker if I'm having a glass of red wine, but it's not something I do very often.

I know I'm missing out on a whole array of foods, but it's just one of those things!

Fiona Beckett said...

Ah well, I'll just have to ensure there's still plenty of non-cheese-related content on this blog ;-)

Eve said...

I love cheese with a passion. I love it when we visit ethnic food shops and I run across a cheese I don't know about. I bought one I thought was a mozzarella and it turned out to be very salty and crumbly like Feta with a unique almost buttery taste. Great though if you sprinkle it on salads or soups. It was a cheese from the Philippines and I don't remember it's name.

Fiona Beckett said...

Gosh, I've never tried cheese from the Philippines, Eve. That's certainly a first! Hope you enjoy the blog!

Helen said...

I always keep a cheese rind box in my freezer, I had never thought of asking for some in a shop, although I was tempted to ask for the rinds in our staff restaurant the other day.

Fiona Beckett said...

It's just like asking your butcher for the bones, really Hippolyra. One of the benefits of using local shops!

UA-3466976-1