Tuesday 3 June 2008

Food blogging is better than Facebook!

Having been a food writer for some 18 years now I've got to know a lot of my fellow professionals. Very nice people they are too. I belong to a couple of good forums which are incredibly useful if you want to find out, for instance, in what respect English flour differs from American flour and the impact that will have on a recipe. People are more than generous with their advice

But frankly it doesn't compare with the heady sensation of joining the blogging community and finding out what people are cooking and eating on a daily basis. There's a joyous lack of inhibition about blogging, a manic enthusiasm, a total obsessiveness about ingredients and techniques, however off the wall, that's hugely liberating. Recipes don't have to be perfect, in fact it's better if they aren't. Everyone is on a voyage of discovery.

Every week, sometimes every day, I find out something new. Such as that Nicolas Clee, the author of the excellent and thought-provoking Don't Sweat the Aubergine has a blog called Sceptical Cook. Through Nicolas I find there's a terrific blog called Baking for Britain which not only gives recipes for forgotten treasures such as Deddington Pudding-Pie but meticulously charts their origin

Yesterday I got invited to join an American group of bloggers called The Foodie Blogroll (right) by a blogger who calls herself The Leftover Queen. A fellow spirit! This is much better than Facebook where you have to keep your food-related obsessions within reasonable bounds

At a time when you can't open a magazine without being told how to cook a perfect dinner party by yet another celebrity chef an army of bloggers is quietly (or sometimes not so quietly) creating the kind of food that they want to eat.

Writers can become photographers, photographers writers. There are no rules in the blogosphere.

6 comments:

Shey said...

I completely agree with you. I am addicted to blogging, both reading and contributing (I have three blogs now!).
Like you I seem to learn something new every day. I enjoy writing about pubs and beer, and so I read blogs about that, and invariably learn something I didn't know about one, the other, or both!

I arrived at your blog from Stonch's Beer Blog, and look forward to reading more of your articles.

Fiona Beckett said...

Hi Sheymouse and welcome to the Frugal Cook. I'm a beer fan too though it's a bit beyond the remit of this blog. (Though on second thoughts maybe it shouldn't be. Beer's much cheaper than wine!)

Like your PhotoBlog too. I'm sure I can pick up some useful tips from that.

Anonymous said...

I just joined it too! I gather from my saved emails that I had started the process last year but forgot about it and then my blog was hacked (!!)... now it's all coming back together nicely. I LOVE foodblogs... I find more wonderful writing and creative inspiration through them than almost anywhere else online!

Fiona Beckett said...

Hi Danica. I spotted your blog on the Foodie Blogroll. What a great idea. Shall look forward to dipping into that.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll! Like you say, there is something new I learn most every day and the foodie photos are wonderful!

Fiona Beckett said...

Thanks Kadeeae. I must say your Frankenstein burger buns look quite scary! Goodness knows what they put in them to make them last that long!

UA-3466976-1