Saturday 21 June 2008

A gorgeous cheese


When it comes to frugal eating cheese is my achilles heel. I already mentioned I'd gone a bit mad in Waitrose this week. Now I've bought a whole cheese in the Whiteladies Road farmers' market.

The thing is this. The cheesemaker, who was there in person, was selling these big beautiful goats cheeses off for £5 each because he had too many of them. You can see from the picture above it had some pretty scary mould on it which would put a lot of people off.

But if cheesaholics like me don't buy them there's a danger that small cheesemakers like him will go out of business.

We had some for lunch (along with the leftover soused mackerel and potatoes which I managed to turn into quite a tasty salad) and it was just gorgeous.

I'll get the neighbours downstairs to buy the other half off me to salve my conscience . . .

Incidentally if you want to support this lovely cheesemaker who trades as White Lake Cheeses you can apparently buy his cheeses from The Cheese Gig and find out which farmers' markets he attends here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a total bargain! I wouldn't be scared off by that mould at all. Cheese addicts unite!

Fiona Beckett said...

Well I have to be scrupulously honest Helen, it wasn't THAT big. But it was a whole cheese and it did taste utterly fab!

Shey said...

Like you Cheese is my weakness (note the capital C!). I love good cheese. I normally just buy regular mature cheddar from Tesco. This is because I mainly use it for topping pasta, or toast and it does the job. However, I cannot resist to buy the odd cheese from a market stall.
I don't consider this straying from frugality, because I only use the market-bought cheeses for special dishes (or on biscuits), and therefore it lasts longer.

Fiona Beckett said...

I think that's right sheymouse. Too often we eat cheese at totally the wrong time, right at the end of a meal when we're already full. With a great cheese it's much better to eat it on its own and really savour it.

Cutting or shaving it into fine slices also makes you feel you've got more on your plate.

Shey said...

Unless, of course, it's brie...

Then you will have more on the grater. :-)

UA-3466976-1